12.6.10

Saddle Rock

I spent all of the morning and a little of the afternoon at one of my favorite places: Saddle Rock Ranch. They run an equine therapy program for people with mental and physical disabilities on the weekends and Tuesday afternoons. Every Saturday I go in at eight for morning grooming and tack and stay until around one. I help with the horse care and the lessons; leading horses and side-walking for the less independent riders. It is very rewarding to see children who are painfully shy get on a horse and sit up tall and be happy that they can do something on their own. Even the people who aren't as capable shine when they get on a horse. It's a healing experience, and a workout when the rider is capable enough to trot but still needs a person on the lead line, especially because the top ring is on a steep slope. It's a way for me to be around horses even though I can't ride at the moment. You can meet a lot of great people when you give your time and service to a good cause.

I got home around half past two and took a four hour nap. It's amazing how tired you get after five hours in the sun. I have pointy sunburn on my shoulders because I tied my t-shirt sleeves up with a couple pieces of string and my face is bright red, but it is most definitely worth tomorrow's discomfort after seeing how happy horses can make people. Next week my hands (and most likely legs) will be stained purply-blue because I'm bringing in Blue Kote to help with the horses' thrush, it gets everywhere and takes a while to get out, it's a spray so it mists all over places you wouldn't think it could.

I spent a good part of yesterday after noon starting on the monumental task of cleaning my room (shock, gasp), it was getting cleaner and actually staying clean until school ended and my locker exploded onto my floor and dresser and whatever space was left on my desk... so tomorrow will be spent trying to find my floor and maybe even some of my desk. I can't believe high school is over, but I'm happy I'm finally in college. I haven't had time to work on Granny's manuscript but I don't have a deadline and I don't want to rush through it. Until next time, happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment